Monday, February 13, 2012

Back in the Booth! My Musical Cheese show


It's something I've awaited for 25 years. I had promised myself that, if by some chance I got myself affiliated with a school or college with a radio station, I would get myself an air shift!

And that one-class certificate course I'm taking at Illinois Institute of Technology is my ticket.
Once I knew I would be going to the downtown campus for a class, I signed up to do a radio shift on WIIT-FM, broadcasting from the campus center on State St.
The orientation was pretty quick and easy. Now mind you, the last time I played music on the radio was before the station at Bowling Green U. had any CD players installed. Now at orientation, the Tech Director asks "so, is anyone going to be bringing CDs?" Turns out most people just bring a laptop with DJ software installed. And they have turntables, but due to the problem of theft, I would have to provide head shell and needle for two Technics 1200 turntables. The guy says they've got a grant for new equipment that will be installed starting in March, but for now we're "stuck" using a board from the 1970s. All right by me, I started out on boards from the 1950s.

For a while, I've highlighting my favorite obscure, silly or otherwise annoying old songs when I hear them on iTunes, and tagging them as "Musical Cheese." So that's the title of my new show. Featuring the stuff your parents forgot about when they said music was so much better in their time. So watch for my show to contain bad 70s earworms, unusual or obscure tunes from through recording history, and some of the comedy stuff that we played the crap out of back in the 70s. Hey, everything old is new again.

So ready or not, click the link under the title above to hear a podcast of my first Musical Cheese show, broadcast February 8, 2012. Below is the playlist with links to purchase the song on iTunes, where available. Yes, I am an affiliate. But I'm paying back the artists for use of their music.

Playlist for the first Musical Cheese Program, 7-9 p.m. Feb. 8 on WIIT
Shakedown Cruise - Jay Ferguson (1979)
Shake a Tail Feather - 5 X 5
Waitin' In School - Ricky Nelson (1957)
Wait Til Tomorrow - The Banana Splits (1968)
Ariel - Dean Friedman (1977)
Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) - Baz Luhrman (1999)
Anti Love Song - Betty Davis (1973)
Rock Billy Boogie - Johnny Burnette
Hot Smoke and Sassafras - The Bubble Puppy (1969)
Quentin's Theme -Charles Randolph Grean Sounde (Yes, that's how he spelled it) (1969)
Cotton Candy Sandman (Sandman's Coming) - Harpers Bizarre (1969)
Driver's Seat - Sniff 'n the Tears (1978)
(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang - Heaven 17 (1981)
What Does Sex Mean to Me? - Human Sexual Response (1981)
Freedom of Choice - Devo (1980)
Ça plane pour moi - Plastic Bertrand (1977)
The Bulls - Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris (Original Cast Recording) (1966)
Midnight Special - Leadbelly (1940)
Six Days On the Road - Dave Dudley (1963)
Travelin' Soldier - Dixie Chicks (2002)
Society's Child (Baby I've Been Thinking) - Janis Ian (1967)
Walking After Midnight - Patsy Cline (1957)
Tragedy - The Fleetwoods (1961)
Let's Have a Party - Wanda Jackson (1960)
Pinball - Brian Protheroe (1975)
The Typewriter - Leroy Anderson BMG Classics sampler
Overture from Tommy - The Assembled Multitude (1970)
Mission Impossible - Laika and The Cosmonauts - Zero Gravity
Hey Baby - Ringo Starr - Ringo's Rotogravure (1976)
Seaside Woman - Suzy and the Red Stripes (Linda McCartney) (1977)
Do You Wanna Dance  - Bobby Freeman (1958)
Marijuana - The Reverend Horton Heat (1990)
Cherry Bomb - The Runaways (1976)
Wild Thing - Sam Kinison - Have You Seen Me? (1988)
Jackie Blue - Smashing Pumpkins - Super Fantastic Mega Smash Hits!
Oh Well - The Rockets (1979)
Anna (Go To Him) - Arthur Alexander (1962)

No comments: