Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Backstage Here at the Blog

I decided to sign up for posting ads by Google on this site. After all, we all have the dream of just putting up something on the web and letting the click-through fees roll in. Of course it's not nearly as simple as that.
This is also a game we can play, like Mad Libs. With the range of topics I've blathered on about, it should be interesting to see what ads pop up relating to my subjects. For instance, Roger Ebert's "Movie Answer Man" columns in the Sun-Times used to have the same kind of ads on its page. Everytime he ranted against video companies that created "clean" pirate DVDs of popular movies with the "dirty words" and sex removed, or the DVD players that were programmed to skip over sex and language in movies, there at the bottom would be an ad for those same clean movie services. So what will we find to be relevant out of the jumble of words on this page? Let's you and me find out.
I've already got one method for seeing who has been wandering onto this little page. To the right and further down is a little graphic that links to Nedstat, one of those free counter services, but one that does not serve ads. It won't tell me who specifically is looking at this page, just the ISP they're coming in from. And most of the views are me looking to see if my latest post is visible. The fun part is the section that shows what page they linked to this site from: usually's it's a Google or Yahoo search on any number of terms.

No comments: